Saturday, April 7, 2012

Pizza Stop

We are a pizza family!  The kids could eat pizza for breakfast (cold), lunch (maybe warmish?), and dinner every day.  To be honest, I'm not that far behind.  It's just a perfect food--a slice has it all: grain, veggies, calcium, protein, essential oils (okay, A LOT of essential oils).  And, if you've got the time to scooch over to State Street and don't mind parking on the street (urgh!!), you need to eat ROC's best pizza, which comes from the humble looking but ridiculously great Pizza Stop.

You don't go to Pizza Stop for ambience.  If you eat there or wait on your pizza, you'll find an atmosphere akin to that at a DMV.  And, please DO NOT talk on your cell phone while ordering.  In case you're wondering why, refer to the photo of the Soup Nazi that hangs behind the counter and the many warning signs as you walk in.  

But, once you get past all that, what you'll find is simply delicious pizza.  We typically order the Meatball Parm pizza on thin crust, which is not only heart-stopping (potentially literally) good but also truly lovely.  Alternating circles of meatballs and mozzarella cheese rest on top of perfectly balanced pizza sauce--not too sweet, not too acidic, not too garlicky.  And, it all sits on top of a nicely crisped crust that still has just enough meaty doughiness in it.  This is, honestly, one of the best pizzas I've ever eaten!

This past week, in addition to the Meatball Parm, I picked up a Broccoli, Mushroom and Garlic pizza.  I didn't know it at the time I ordered, but it substitutes a base of garlic-rich olive oil for traditional red sauce.  The crust is then liberally covered with mozzarella and heaps of broccoli and mushrooms and more garlic.  My daughter agreed to try "just one bite" and went on to eat three pieces.  It's truly a keeper and a lighter pizza to offset the richness of the Meatball.

The only bad part about Pizza Stop is the drive home.  The pizzas come out piping hot and fill the car with intoxicating aromas within about 30 seconds.  I must have opened the Broccoli, Mushroom and Garlic box about 10 times on the 15 minute drive, each time forcing myself to close it back up again lest I burn my hand and mouth, and then crash the car.  At least I'd have a solid defense ...

"But, your honor, I was driving home from Pizza Stop."

"Case dismissed!"

No comments:

Post a Comment